The lotus vine, also known as lotus berthelotii, is native to the Canary Islands, and it is also grown in many other tropical regions around the world.
It is a tropical plant, meaning it requires warm temperatures and high humidity to thrive. It can’t tolerate frost and can’t survive in a cold winter.
The lotus vine is common in many tropical regions including Central and South America, Africa, and Southeast Asia. It is also grown as an ornamental plant in many subtropical and tropical regions of the United States, such as Florida, California, and Hawaii.
It is important to note that if you live in a colder climate, the lotus vine should be grown as a houseplant or brought indoors during the winter months to protect it from frost and freezing temperatures.
How To Care For Lotus Vine
To care for a lotus vine, follow these steps:
- Plant the lotus vine in well-draining soil that is rich in organic matter.
- Provide full sun to partial shade for the plant.
- Water the plant regularly to keep the soil consistently moist, but not waterlogged.
- Fertilize the plant with a balanced fertilizer every 4-6 weeks during the growing season.
- Prune the plant regularly to control its size and shape. This will also encourage bushier growth.
- Lotus vine is a fast-growing plant, be sure to provide it with a trellis or other type of support to climb on.
- Be aware that lotus vine is a tropical plant, if you live in a colder climate, it is best to bring the plant indoors during the winter months.
- Keep an eye out for pests and diseases, such as spider mites, mealybugs, and powdery mildew, and treat promptly if necessary.
By following these instructions, your lotus vine should thrive and produce beautiful, vibrant flowers.
You can also grow the Moonflower Vine. See how?
Lotus berthelotii, also known as Berthelot’s lotus, is a species of flowering plant in the pea family (Fabaceae). It is native to the Canary Islands, and is an evergreen perennial that grows to a height of about 30-40 cm. The leaves are green and glossy, and the flowers are typically yellow or orange in color. The plant is drought-tolerant and can grow in a variety of soil types, but prefers well-drained soil and full sun. It is often used as an ornamental plant in gardens, and is also used in landscaping and as a groundcover.