What is White Pampas Grass?
White pampas grass (Cortaderia selloana ‘Pumila’) is a variety of pampas grass that is known for its large, feathery plumes that are white in color. This perennial grass that can grow up to 8-10 feet tall and 6-8 feet wide. White Pampas is used as a ornamental grass in landscaping and it is drought tolerant. It is native to South America, specifically in Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay. It can be grown in full sun and well-drained soil. However, it is considered invasive in some areas, so it’s important to check the regulations before planting it.
How to Tend:
White pampas grass is relatively low maintenance, but there are a few things you can do to ensure it thrives.
- Plant in full sun: Prefers full sun and can handle partial shade, but it will not perform as well in heavy shade.
- Provide dry soil: White pampas grass prefers dry soil and does can not handle standing water. If you have heavy clay soil, you may need to amend it with organic matter or sand to improve drainage.
- Water regularly: This grass needs to be kept consistently moist, especially during the first few weeks after planting. Once established, it will be more drought-tolerant.
- Fertilize: White pampas grass benefits from an annual application of a balanced fertilizer, such as a 10-10-10 fertilizer, in the spring.
- When to prune: White pampas grass can be pruned in late winter or early spring to remove dead or damaged foliage. Also, if the plant is getting too large or too dense, you can cut it back by half.
- Be aware of its invasiveness: White pampas grass can be invasive in some areas and can spread rapidly, it’s important to check the regulations before planting it. If you live in an area where it’s considered invasive, it’s best to avoid planting it altogether or to plant it in a container to prevent it from spreading.
- Reminder: White pampas grass is highly flammable and should be planted away from homes and other structures in fire-prone areas.
Where to Purchase?
You can buy this beautiful grass at our Esty shop. Happy Shopping!