Black Lily Asiatic ‘Forever Susan’ is a popular variety of Asiatic lily that is known for its striking appearance and unique coloration. Here are some facts about this particular type of lily:
- ‘Forever Susan’ is a black Asiatic lily, which means that it has deep, dark purple-black blooms that are almost velvety in appearance.
- This lily is a hybrid variety that was developed in the 1990s by crossing two different Asiatic lily species.
- ‘Forever Susan’ typically blooms in early to mid-summer, producing 4-6 flowers per stem. Each bloom is around 6 inches in diameter.
- This lily is relatively easy to care for and is tolerant of a range of soil types and growing conditions. However, it prefers well-drained soil and full sun to partial shade.
- The name ‘Forever Susan’ is a reference to Susan Hampshire, a British actress who is known for her roles in television and film. Hampshire is also a noted garden enthusiast and has been a patron of the British charity Plant Heritage.
- ‘Forever Susan’ is a popular choice for cut flower arrangements due to its striking appearance and long vase life.
- While ‘Forever Susan’ is a relatively new hybrid variety, Asiatic lilies have been cultivated for centuries and are highly prized for their beauty and fragrance.
Here are some tips on how to take care of Black Lily Asiatic ‘Forever Susan’:
- Soil and Sunlight: This lily prefers well-drained soil that is rich in organic matter. It also requires full sun to partial shade, with at least six hours of direct sunlight per day.
- Watering: Water the lily deeply and regularly, but make sure not to overwater as this can lead to root rot. Allow the top inch of soil to dry out before watering again.
- Fertilizer: Apply a balanced fertilizer to the soil around the lily in early spring and then again after the plant has finished blooming.
- Deadheading: Remove faded flowers as soon as possible to encourage more blooms and prevent the plant from putting energy into seed production.
- Mulching: Add a layer of mulch around the base of the plant to help conserve moisture and suppress weed growth.
- Pest and Disease Control: Monitor the plant for any signs of pest or disease, such as aphids or fungal infections, and take appropriate action to control the problem.
- Winter Care: ‘Forever Susan’ is hardy in zones 3-8 and can survive cold temperatures, but it’s a good idea to add a layer of mulch over the soil in late fall to protect the bulbs from extreme cold.
By following these care tips, you can help ensure that your Black Lily Asiatic ‘Forever Susan’ thrives and produces beautiful, dark blooms year after year.