What is the Sitara’s Gold?
Tradescantia spathacea ‘Sitara’s Gold’, also known as Moses in the Cradle, is a beautiful house plant that is known for its unique foliage and easy care requirements. This plant is perfect for adding a touch of color and texture to any room in your home.
Tradescantia Sitara’s Gold houseplant is a cultivar of the Tradescantia genus, which is a type of creeping herbaceous perennial plant. Known for its striking golden-yellow leaves and its ability to trail or creep along the ground, making it a popular choice for hanging baskets or as a ground cover.
The plant prefers bright, indirect light and well-drained soil. They relatively easy to care for and propagate, making it a popular choice for gardeners of all skill levels. A hardy plant that can tolerate a wide range of temperatures and humidity. It is a low maintenance plant that can be grown indoors or outdoors. Has the ability to be propagated by stem cuttings or by dividing the roots. Be aware that it can be invasive in some areas, and it can also cause skin irritation to some people.
How to Tend:
- Light: The plant prefers bright, indirect light. It can handle some direct sunlight, but too much can cause the leaves to scorch.
- Watering: The plant prefers to be kept consistently moist, but not waterlogged. Water when the top inch of soil is dry.
- Soil: Tradescantia Sitara’s Gold prefers well-drained soil. A mixture of peat moss, perlite, and potting soil works well.
- Fertilizer: The plant can benefit from occasional fertilization with a balanced, water-soluble fertilizer during the growing season.
- Temperature and Humidity: Tradescantia Sitara’s Gold can handle a wide range of temperatures and humidity levels.
- Propagation: Propagate by stem cuttings or by dividing the roots. Cuttings can be taken in the spring or summer and planted in a potting mix.
- Pests and Diseases: Tradescantia Sitara’s Gold is relatively pest-free and disease-free.
- Pruning: You can prune the plant regularly to control its size and shape. Doing this promotes bushier growth.
Where to Purchase?
You can buy this lush golden beauty at our Esty shop. Happy Shopping!!
Looking for Other Options?
Caring For Moses In The Cradle
Moses in the Cradle prefers bright, indirect light. It can tolerate low light conditions, but its foliage may become less vibrant. Avoid placing it in direct sunlight as this can cause leaf burn.
Keep the soil consistently moist, but not waterlogged. Allow the top inch of soil to dry out before watering again. Overwatering can lead to root rot, so be sure to use a well-draining potting mix and a pot with drainage holes.
Temperature and Humidity
Moses in the Cradle prefers temperatures between 60 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit, and high humidity. If the air in your home is dry, you can increase humidity by placing a tray of water near the plant or using a humidifier.
Feed Moses in the Cradle every four to six weeks during the growing season (spring and summer) with a balanced, water-soluble fertilizer.
Prune Moses in the Cradle as needed to control its size and shape. Pinch back the tips of the stems to encourage bushiness, and remove any yellow or damaged leaves.
Moses in the Cradle can be easily propagated by dividing the rootball or by taking stem cuttings. Dip the cut end of the cutting in rooting hormone powder and place it in a small container filled with a well-draining potting mix. Keep the cutting in bright, indirect light and keep the soil consistently moist until roots have formed.
Moses in the Cradle is generally a low-maintenance plant, but it can be affected by pests such as spider mites, mealybugs, and scale insects. If you notice any of these pests, spray the plant with a solution of water and dish soap.
Moses in the Cradle is a perfect houseplant for those who want to add a touch of green to their home without having to spend too much time caring for it. Its unique foliage and easy care requirements make it a great choice for both new and experienced plant enthusiasts. With the proper care and attention, your Moses in the Cradle will thrive and provide you with years of enjoyment.